` UK: Mills bounces back at Total Combat 41 - Fighters Only Magazine

UK: Mills bounces back at Total Combat 41


There were two British titles on the line at the Rainton Meadows Arena on Saturday night as another full house played host to the 41st instalment of Total Combat.

Rob Mills challenged Kyle Redfearn for his British welterweight title in the main event. The young title holder came out at the bell all guns blazing, throwing big punches and clinching with the much more experienced Mills. After only what seemed like a few seconds Mills was curled up against the cage covering up from the raining blows from Redfearn.

But the punches didn't do enough damage to either put Mills away or warrant a referee stoppage so the fight quickly got back to both men on their feet with Mills making a speedy recovery. Refearn was straight back in the mix throwing more combinations and Mills even seemed to play 'possum' at one point to bring Refearn in to his range.

Whether this was the case or not, Mills connected with a huge left hook that sent Redfearn face planting in to the mat and the ref to call a stop to the bout. Mill's was arguably still frustrated with the way his fight with Leigh Cohoon went at BAMMA, that in the heat of the moment forced him to announce his retirement. Mills now ads another belt to his collection, scrapping any thoughts of retirement.

The co-main event saw local fighter Davey Grant, who had TUF fighter Aaron Wilkinson and UFC veteran Curt Warburton in his corner, defend his bantamweight title against seasoned traveller Mark Aldrige. A quck take down from Grant following some decent jabs from both fighters resulted in a RNC finish and another 'W' on the record of Grant.

Notable mention goes to crowd favourite Colin 'Freakshow' Fletcher. The Sunderland fighter took on Myles Price in their pro welterweight bout. Myles, who fights out of SBG Ireland, should really take the name of 'Muscle Shark' due to his ability to avoid being choked out! Fletcher must have locked in a darce choke about 4 times in the first round but was unsuccessful every time, even though it looked unbreakable on every occasion!

The fight made its way into the second round with Fletcher wondering how he was going to get the submission victory. Both fighters traded well with Price even landing a big right hand that seemed to rock Fletcher, if only for a split second.

Always the crowd favourite, Fletcher even pulled of a German Suplex - much to the crowds delight! This would be the beginning of the end for Price as Myles was slowing running out of gas. The fight got back to its feet only for Fletcher to catch a kick, take down Price once again but this time take his back for the RNC.


Am Junior Flyweight
Lee Johnson (Sunderland JJ and MMA Club) beat Alex Close (Kirkmerrington MMA) by Anaconda Choke, round 1

Am Junior Bantamweight
Raf Voza (Sunderland Steve Black’s MMA Accademy) beat Hamza Khan (Leeds True Spirit) by Split Decision

Semi Pro Bantamweight
Sam Wilkinson (Hull MDMA) beat Scott 'Little Evil' Evans (Darlington Evolution MMA Club) by keylock, round 1

Am Junior Bantamweight
Jasim Beg (Glasgow Gladiatorial Gym) beat Kieran Brown (Willington MMA) by Split Decision

Am Welterweight
Lee Currie (Bishop Auckland Phoenix MMA) beat Richard Lees (Middlesborough Team Extreme) by Rear Naked Choke, round 2

Semi Pro Lightweight
Chris Alexander (Cramlington MMA) beat Michael Pearson (Sunderland Steve Black’s MMA Accademy) by Anaconda Choke, round 2

Semi Pro Featherweight
Wayne Coxon (Sunderland The Unity Gym & NX Gen) beat Nathan Thompson (South Shields MMA) by Triangle, round 1

Semi Pro Welterweight
Scott Merrington (Bridlington Outlaws Thai Boxing) beat Aaron Spashett (Middlesborough Team Extreme) by guillotine choke, round 1

Semi Pro Featherweight
Ben Crilly (Hull MDA) beat Stephen Rodgers (Willington MMA) by triangle, round 1

Semi Pro Bantamweight Title
Liam Webstell (Bishop Auckland independent) beat Adam Steel (Sunderland Fight Pit) by guillotine, round 1

Semi Pro Welterweight
Liam Dunn (Bridlington Outlaws Thai Boxing) beat Michael 'The New Breed' Shephard (Darlington Team Evolution) by guillotine, round 1

Semi Pro Middleweight Title elimination bout
Gareth Jackson (Sunderland JJ & MMA) beat William Payne (Middlesbrough Team Extreme) by guillotine, round 1

Semi Pro Lightweight British Open Title
Ben Ford (Bridlington Outlaws Thai Boxing) beat Mikey Hogarth (Auckland MMA Academy) by Unanimous Decision

Semi Pro Lightheavyweight British Title
Gary Sivills (Sunderland MMA & Phoenix Thai & Fitness) beat Paul Bradshaw (Darlington Team Hanuman) by DQ (post round 1 attack by Bradshaw)

Pro Middleweight
Dave Brown (Northumberland Northern Free Fighters) beat Darren Wardle (Sunderland Steve Black’s MMA Academy) by TKO, round 3

Pro Lightweight
Colin 'The Freakshow' Fletcher (Sunderland Fight Pit, Unity Gym and SWS) beat Miles Price (Ireland SBG) by Rear Naked Choke, round 2

Pro Bantamweight British Title
'Dangerous' Davey Grant (Bishop Auckland/The Wolfslair) beat Mark 'Superman' Aldridge (Yorkshire Allegiance MMA) by Rear Naked Choke, round 1

Pro Welterweight British Title
Rob 'Robocop' Mills (Newcastle Fight Faktory) beat Kyle Redfearn (Kirkmerrington MMA) by KO, round 1