Hughes quotes Bible to justify hunting

Hughes quotes Bible to justify hunting
January 5th 2012

Matt Hughes has become embroiled in a row with what he describes as “PETA idiots” - and he has used the Bible to try and shoot them down.

The former UFC welterweight champion was bombarded with criticism after posting pictures to his Twitter account of he and his brother posing with dead animals they had killed while hunting.

Among the tally were dead deer and a dead bobcat; animal lovers around the world were quick to take Hughes to task, posting messages to him such as, “How very Christian of you to kill innocent beings.”

The first comment to draw a reply from Hughes was one to the effect that “animals should only be killed if you intend to eat them”.

Hughes countered by asking if the sender would kill mice if they had an infestation in their house (it wasn’t clear if Hughes had woken up to a house infested with deer or bobcats prior to this latest hunt).

“No, we don't have mice. But if we did, the cat would kill and eat them,” his correspondent replied, prompting a sarcastic Hughes to sneer, “You’re right...if you can't see them I'm sure they aren't there… Hope all have a fun night and a great start to a year. Don't drink and drive. More at stake than your own life.”

Hughes then did a bit of public service by announcing, “If you don't like seeing dead animals please stop following me”. He then addressed his detractors as a whole, saying “I'm not even going to try and educate you PETA idiots.”

The conversations finished with Hughes retweeting a passage from the book of Genesis, the first book of the Old Testament. “Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground,” it says.

Interestingly, the entire spat was started by none other than Jenna Jameson, partner of former light-heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz. Hughes and Tito don’t particularly get along and so when Jameson saw Hughes posting pictures of his kills, she retweeted them to her many followers exhorting them to give Hughes a blasting.

Hughes also posted on his website on December 30th to advertise his appearance in tastefully-named hunting show ‘1 Critter, 2 Critter, 3 Critter - Boom!’ in which he “hunts for big whitetail bucks at Agarita Ranch in South Texas, with ranch manager, Tye Green.”

Does Hughes’ bible quote justify the hunting and killing of animals that aren’t going to be used for food? Are you for or against hunting in general? Let us know in the box below!

Comments

• Sam Robson

Posted at 15:23 on January 5th 2012

The tweet he retweeted that "all animal rights groups are morons" was disgusting.

I don't agree with hunting for sport, though while done within the constraints of the law I won't condemn anyone for doing it. I will condemn someone for calling people who care about animals PETA idiots or morons though. Hughes basically has showed he has no respect for animals and anyone who does can f*** off.

I've always really respected Hughes as a fighter, but no longer as a person. I'll look forward to Dan Hardy hunting him in the octagon.

• Sean M

Posted at 16:21 on January 5th 2012

No, Hughes' bible quote does not justify the hunting and killing of animals that will not be used for food. His quote says to rule over those species, not to kill the species for fun. I am from the American South and have lived here my entire life, 25 years, and I will never understand hunting. I don't understand where the "sport" part comes into the argument. I don't understand the argument that the "deer population is over populated". Even if that were true, can't we argue that the human population is over populated? In our past, as humans, we needed to hunt to provide sustenance for ourselves, but now we take the hunt to the markets and grocery stores. I am in no way shape or form a PETA person or crazed animal lover, I am simply against unnecessary killing of anything and, to compare the killing of deer and predatorial cats to the killing of mice is absolutely irrational.

• charles

Posted at 17:28 on January 5th 2012

Hunting for sport is just wrong,
    Hunting to put food on yor table justified,
    Peta people are out of control,
    Spreading propaganda and lies,
    I eat meat and perfer that its organic
    Or naturaly raised and sacrificed in a humain way,
    Its all part of the natural cycle of life...

• Stuart

Posted at 17:30 on January 5th 2012

Nothing wrong with Hunting
    Its more humane than the battery chicken farm or the dairy farms where the animals are caged for 24 hours a day

• Joe

Posted at 18:27 on January 5th 2012

It's good to hunt as long as it's for food and if they didn't hunt they would over populate and spread disease my people been huntin for years I'm native I respect animals and understand they're here to provide for food.

• crumpled foreskin

Posted at 19:17 on January 5th 2012

matts bro looks like will ferrell

• s woodward

Posted at 09:22 on January 6th 2012

Sport is competing against someone/something that has a equal chance of winning so if you want to prove yourself Matt, get rid of the rifle etc and climb in with a tiger! Alternatively keep the rifle and then you and Brock can hunt each other.

Why someone would want to kill animals for fun is beyond me, and to justify killing by using religion - now where have we heard that before!

• Dub J

Posted at 18:58 on September 17th 2012

LOL...PETA....People-Eat-Tasty-Animals!!!! With that being said, Hunting should be done to put food on the table. With all the hormones in todays farm raised meat its better to take some feild fresh meat. Yes there are some hormone free farms but damn they cost a lot. Now to the idea of sport hunting.....I'm not big on the idea but I can see how its still far, now days their are people that just want to hold that "Big Rack" Like miss J.J.'s but don't bash the sport hunters to bad because now days almost every where you hunt there's meat donation centers were the sports hunter can keep that Rack of a life time and give the meat to feed the hungry and more sports hunters are doing just that.....So give Matt a break.....Being from Minnesota I've been hunting sense a child and was raised to hunt for meat not sport...but if that big boy walks out I'd take it....Its a midwestern kinda life.....as for the biblical quote....kinda sounds like a hunting quote to me......

Genesis 9:2-4-
    The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands. Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

Its say's......"Eveything that lives and moves about will be food for you" I'm pretty sure there wasn't any deer farms back then.....so they hunted deer too.

• escorts Dubai

Posted at 14:08 on January 5th 2013

How to upload a wordpress backup on to a site?

• bosch dishwasher repairs

Posted at 12:10 on May 24th 2013

Sometimes, you have to fall to you have never experienced bottom to stand again in you never reach peak.