Full statement from Alistair Overeem on UFC 146 pull out, testosterone

Full statement from Alistair Overeem on UFC 146 pull out, testosterone
April 23rd 2012

Alistair Overeem has apologised for his withdrawal from the UFC 146 main event fight against heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos but insists he is ‘clean’ and does not use performance-enhancing substances.

He says that the elevated testosterone levels in a urine sample provided to the Nevada State Athletic Commission were caused by an anti-inflammatory drug which, unbeknownst to him, had testosterone as an ingredient.

“I am deeply saddened to announce that on Friday, April 20, I respectfully withdrew from the May 26 event so that I can request a continuance until my situation with the Nevada State Athletic Commission is resolved,” he said in a statement released to Fighters Only today.

“I cannot express how sorry I am to the Commission, Junior Dos Santos, the fans, the owners and employees of the UFC, my friends and family and anyone else who this has affected.

“I absolutely do not believe in, nor do I use performance-enhancing drugs. I am a clean fighter and I will do whatever it takes to prove this to everyone.

“Prior to the UFC 146 press conference in March, I aggravated an old rib injury on my left side. My doctor prescribed, and I accepted, an anti-inflammatory medication that was mixed with testosterone. I was completely unaware that testosterone was one of the ingredients in the medication. Although I was unaware, I do realize it is my job to know what I am putting into my body.

“I respect the Nevada Commissioners and Executive Director Keith Kizer and what they are doing to keep
the sport of mixed martial arts regulated and safe for athletes. I look forward to working with them in the days and weeks ahead.

“Friends and fans, I ask for your patience as I work through this matter. Please support me. I promise to return to the Octagon soon.”

Comments

• Claudiu Misa

Posted at 14:22 on April 23rd 2012

Be safe. Be well. Train hard, fight hard and good luck in the weeks that will come. The fans need you in the Octagon!

• Bruce Boyington

Posted at 14:49 on April 23rd 2012

Give me a joke! Seriously? Do you know whats just as bad as taking Testosterone for performance enhancment?...Lying about it! Not taking responsibility for your actions and issuing a statment to all your fans and the fans of MMA as if we are a bunch of idiots that are going to buy it. Look at yourself, now...if you hadnt popped on a piss test (with that large amount over the limit) then one could argue that your size, pump, rage, and vasularity was natural but now it is a bit too much of a coincidence. Now, what else is a coinicidence...I doubt that it is a coincidence that you needed anti-inflammatories and you just happen to take some with Testosterone in it which would spike your levels that much, right! First of all, if you had a nagging or old "rib injury", take some IB Profin. To come out and say that you needed to take some anti inflammatories with Testosterone in it and that is what caused your levels to be that high just shows what kind of character you are and because you cant except responsibility, own up to your 'above average' stupid decision, and continue to disrespect all of us...you should be banned from the greatest MMA Organization out there! After all...who would really risk blowing an opportunity like this one to fight for the 1st time in the UFC for the HW title against JDS in one of the biggest fights in UFC history....only Alistair Overeem!

• Roddy

Posted at 16:58 on April 23rd 2012

His nose is growing to the same size as those pecs

• Gerry Bruins

Posted at 13:53 on April 28th 2012

@Bruce Boyington
    I just LOVE it when people Judge others, how can you be the one to judge Alistair. How many other guys have taken drugs with prior knowledge etc...enough. In this case its not even been proven WITHOUT A DOUBT that he's taken these drugs without prior knowledge let alone if it even is possible to get such a high Testosterone bounce with 2 shots and I ain't a doctor or have the right to judge, are you??
    No I didn't think so, so please think about what you say before you judge another. ....People now days are so quick to jump the gun. I must admit that it was a shame that Alistair lied to Dana though, that wasn't the smarted thing to do.
    Just quoting what you said too "who would really risk blowing a opportunity like this one to fight for the 1st time in the UFC for a HW title against JDS in one of the biggest fights in UFC history"...DING DING nobody so why would you think Alistair would then?!??!?
    And another point you nicely decided not to point out..its the first time that he's even been judged let alone failed a drug test ;)
    With this I think my point it clear.....don't judge without it being fact.

• Bruce Boyington

Posted at 17:56 on April 28th 2012

@GerryBruins...I wont resort to the names that I want to say towards you Ille just add a little about your respons: What are you talking about? "dont judge others" ...what do you think this site is for, why do you think they put these articles up? and when your a public figure like Alistair....thats what happens, they are only there for the public to watch, be entertained, talk about, JUDGE, etc. He wouldnt even have a job doing this if it werent for the public 'judging' him and when someone in his position does something STUPID like take performance enhancing drugs prior to the biggest fight of his life, yes, people like myself are going to comment on how dumb it is/was. So, call it judging or stating or whatever you want but I like to think of it as a discussion and an opinion although this hovers very closely to FACT in my book. Are you doing drugs or something....you questioning whether he really did it really makes me question your mental stability, well, that and how spuratic your writing and train of thought is. Its very hard to follow your message but I think I got what your saying...you are all about Overeem and you just dont want to belive that he did it so your trying to find any little factor to excuse the accusations/facts. In your 1st sentence you are defending him by saying (admitting)..how many other athletes have used drugs with prior knowledge ...and then you flip the script and start saying things like "without a doubt" as if that holds some weight here. Myself and most others reading are not on the commission, we are not doctors, jurors, etc so we dont need to find "with out a doubt" we can just read the facts (his test ratio) and we can make our own, obvious conclussion, that he did use perf. enhancing drugs, it doesnt take a genius to know that. I was judging him in the part of my message when i said I think he is an idiot for blowing an opportunity like that but the rest of my message was stating the obvious and you know what, i have a right to judge him because he signed a contract and chose a profession in the entertainment industry and cause his check is paid by all of us watching so i have the right as the entertained to judge what i pay money to watch. And just because I ask the question about who would "risk blowing a opport." doesnt mean no one would just because it doesnt make any sense too, thats my whole point...thats what makes him such an idiot, cause he chose too. And come on, now he says it was in some anti-inflammatory meds he took. ok...so, I have a fight coming up and I had a bowl of fruity pebbles cereal this morning, i didnt know there were steroids in it?? Does that make sense, is that credible? No. Im not judging without it being fact, im using the facts they presented, thats what Im judging on and it dont matter if its the 1st time or 10th time, it was dumb. That doesnt mean that I will never like the guy or that he cant turn his life around because he still has that option but Im talking about right now about what just happen. Get off the drugs if you want to continue to have a conversation with me

• Gerry

Posted at 03:30 on April 29th 2012

@Bruce
    Hahaha...on drugs, thats a good one...and then basically wanting to call me "bad" names wow thats another good one. I just find it hard to understand that someone thinks that he's knowingly taken drugs when he stated that it was in a prescribed medication and had no prior knowledge, thats all I'm saying. True it was super stupid of him not tell the UFC that he'd taken the meds prior to the random test, however I don't think he was thinking that far ahead (more then a month before the fight).

No I'm not "all about Overeem" how pathetic are you. And really you should look in the mirror, I mean if you haven't got anything good to say
    don't bother saying anything.

Another Discussion also pointed some good facts out that might interest you:
    "I know exactly what the T/E ratio is. By lingering effect I was obviously referring to the fact that the actual drug may not be present or detected, but the effect can be detected. Or metabolites hanging around, for example.
    Also, a high T/E ratio doesn't indicate that there's more test than a normal person. It only indicates that exogenous testosterone was introduced. Obviously Overeem's test levels were through the roof also. But T/E isn't what indicates this.

I'm all for a discussion of PED use in sports, the specifics of Overeem's situation, even speculation of exactly how he was using. But I don't see any benefit to snide remarks, insults or just general arguing."

The last point I find actually points quite nicely to your re-petitioning remarks about drugs...which I still wonder why you even bring it up.

Commenting and voicing your opinion is good, but keep it to that, otherwise your just blowing hot air....which I find is pointless.

Point was taken from:

• Bruce Boyington

Posted at 12:57 on April 29th 2012

@ Gary...First, I just want to telll you something....when you use " " marks...usually that means that you are quoting something exactly the same that someone else wrote..I mean, that is the point of using the quotation marks so in your last message you use "Bad" names as if I said that but I dont recall saying that, I didnt re-read my whole post so correct me if Im wrong. Now, I cant help but think that you are just really really naive...I mean, do you believe anything anyone says? So he said that he was taking some "prescribed medication" as you put it which was also listed as anti-inflammatories. Have you ever heard of anyone accidentally taking anti-inflammatories with testosterone in it? Come on now, like I said before, its as if I said, i woke up this morning and had a bowl of cereal and then failed a drug test and said, i didnt realize there was testosterone in my cereal, coincedentally, he also has the biggest fight of his career coming up. Whats wrong with taking some IB Profin if he really needed some anti Infl. ? See, the thing is, he has to have some kind of response or explanation for the Hight Ratio and the problem is, what can he say? Not much, so the closest thing he can say (which still sounds foolish) is that he was prescribed anti infl. and that is what happen. Its pathetic, its childish to not own up to it. Im pretty sure the commisssion wouldnt just suspend his license if they didnt have just cause. Im pretty sure if whatever was in his blood, wasnt a reflection of enhancing his performance, then they wouldnt have suspended his license, and even if they did, Im pretty sure that the UFC would fight it and so would his lawyer but the fact that he has no choice, no defense, states enough that he is guilty. I dont know what else to say to you Gary except, i hope you arent this naive on everything in life, that would bring on a very tough life.
    Oh, and as for my "drugs" comment incase you still dont get it...its sort of like sarcasm/figure of speech, etc...I didnt mean it literal, although if you continue to ignore the facts here and act so naive, i may have no choice but to think that perhaps you are on some kind of mind-altering drug...I mean, what else would explain why you cant see the obvious?

Thanks for having the discussion with me

• Adrien1966

Posted at 17:35 on September 5th 2012

I think other site proprietors should take fightersonlymag.com as an model, very clean and excellent user friendly style and design, let alone the content. You are an expert in this topic!

• Radermacher8

Posted at 22:51 on September 10th 2012

I like reading fightersonlymag.com and I conceive this website got some truly useful stuff on it! wish you luck, [url=http://bruteforex.com]lighting from manufacturer[/url]

• Una06

Posted at 23:46 on October 29th 2012

Its Pleasure to understand www.fightersonlymag.com. The above articles is pretty extraordinary, and I really enjoyed reading your phorum and points that you expressed. I really like to appear back over a typical basis,post a lot more within the topic. Thanks for sharing…keep writing!!! regards