Dan Hardy slams "ignorant, calculated " Matt Hughes over hunting

Dan Hardy slams
May 24th 2012

Dan Hardy is not a fan of hunting or hunters - at least, not the recreational kind.

And so he finds himself again condemning former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes, with the addition of former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.

Hughes recently posted a photograph to his personal website in which he can be seen posing with the carcass of a large black bear he has killed. The photograph ignited debate on the MMA message boards and left Hardy sickened.

“I just can't agree with what he's doing, and I can't find any way for him to justify it. I'm sure there are ways that he's convinced himself that it's ok, but in my opinion, every human being innately has morals. They know what's right and wrong, and whether it's legal or not, it's the wrong thing to do. It's not illegal to sleep with your best friend's wife, but if you do it, you're an asshole,” he tells Bloody Elbow staffer Stephanie 'Crooklyn' Daniels.

“I don't think that humans are in any way elevated above the other species that are on the planet. For somebody to think it's ok to go out and shoot one of them, because it's not illegal, I just don't make the connection. If it's illegal to shoot human beings, it should be illegal to shoot animals, as well.

“Now, as far as hunting for food goes, that's a different thing. If I needed to kill an animal for food, I would. To go out there and shoot them for his own entertainment...I mean, he's not going out there and having bear sandwiches for lunch off his kill, that's for sure.

“The fact that he had to go out and find it tells me that it wasn't an over population issue. The same situation happened with the bobcat. He had to go in search for the damned thing before he could kill it. It's not like it was near his house. If he were standing next to it in his back yard, that might be a different situation, but I still wouldn't be proud of that.”

And lest people think he is picking on Hughes in an attempt to coerce the ageing former champion into a rematch, Hardy demurs. For him its an argument based on intelligence and common decency.

“Out of all the species, we're the only one that has evolved enough to have a set of morals and be able to co-exist with the other species, and people like Matt Hughes, reading from his bible, and interpreting however he wants, going out there and shooting animals for fun, it's just ignorant and calculated. I just can't agree with him,” he says.

“People say, 'Oh, you're just calling out an aging welterweight. He was the champion, and he's done more than you.' It's not about mixed martial arts. I don't like Brock Lesnar for his ethics on hunting, either. I'm not saying these things about Matt Hughes because I want to fight him.

“I mean, if the opportunity was there, I would, but it's a completely different subject. I respect him as a champion, but that doesn't mean he's not an asshole as a person. He's proven that he is.”

Comments

• Paul Lewis Andrew

Posted at 18:11 on May 24th 2012

couldn't of put it better myself dan

• Scott

Posted at 19:48 on May 24th 2012

Is it just me or is it even more unnerving that it looks like that cowardly twat looks like he is trying to shag it?

• Lenin/McCarthy

Posted at 20:03 on May 24th 2012

hardy's got it spot on, hughes has always been one of my favourite fighters but i've lost a lot of respect for him after seeing this picture.

• Devin

Posted at 21:10 on May 24th 2012

He uses the animals he takes, its not like he shoots them and leaves them to rot. He buys tags for them and does what all the rest of us hunters do. If he just shot and left them I too would be pissed but if he is putting them to use i see no problem with it.

• Woody

Posted at 21:41 on May 24th 2012

Uses them for what lol, you can't justify killing something because it would look good on the wall and it's not like he is freezing and needed the fur to keep warm - and we honestly believe we are the non barbaric species!

I too have lost all respect for Hughes and Lesnar, Dan has this right and if hunting makes you feel macho even up the odds and put down the rifle and take them on!

• Jonathan

Posted at 02:12 on May 25th 2012

Anyone who is whining really needs to get a life.

You CAN eat bear meat, and Im sure Matt does

There are a lot of things you can do with a bear to use up the entire animal and put it to good use.

For those of you bitching and crying including Dan Hardy. Ask yourself one question. Have you ever killed a fly. Stepped on a spider. ect. If the answer is yes, then your no different then Matt or I.

• Ben Alexander

Posted at 07:38 on May 25th 2012

Killing Bears in this day and age is just barbaric, they are a beautiful species in decline but this is what I expect from the general ignorance of Americans in the middle of knowheresville, the same idiots voted for Bush and will no doubt vote for Romney!

WAR HARDY

• keef

Posted at 09:07 on May 25th 2012

Yep he is 100% right...i used to love watching Matt and the way he carried himself as champion but that photo and for him to think that is ok to do..well no longer is he the man i thought he was...what a shame..ohh and matt its a shame your gun didnt jam..you would have been beating a lot quicker than the Koscheck fight...:-P

• AT

Posted at 10:41 on May 25th 2012

Anyone who is whining really needs to get a life.

You CAN eat bear meat, and Im sure Matt does

Stupidest comment ever

How the fuck can you compare an insect to a bear?

• Gary

Posted at 11:31 on May 25th 2012

Just because you CAN eat bear meat doesn't mean you should or even that Matt Hughes is going to.

This isn't a hunter-gatherer thing this is killing for sport and this is where the problem lies not in the many uses of a bear.