Back

Fedor denies retirement rumours

Fedor denies retirement rumours
June 6th 2012

Fedor Emelianenko has denied reports of his imminent retirement.

The Russian heavyweight legend says that his next fight with Pedro Rizzo is, contrary to recent media bulletins, not necessarily his last and that unless anything goes particularly wrong he will soldier on as long as God allows.

Fedor spoke to a Russian television network and said that his career is “in God’s hands” and that as long has he is healthy enough to continue fighting after the June 21 meeting with the Brazilian heavyweight Rizzo, he will continue to do so.

“We will see what happens. It is not a fact that I will retire on June 21st. We will see after the fight,” he said.

It had been reported by numerous outlets that Fedor had stated an intention to retire in the very near future and concentrate on training the next generation of fighters, both in MMA and in his Sambo martial arts discipline.

“I don't know who came to conclusion that I will coach young fighters. Everyone talks about my retirement, and that I will train young fighters. I never said that!”

Now 35 years old, Fedor was once the undisputed king of the heavyweight scene but has been on a decline in recent years. A three-fight losing streak saw him stopped by Fabricio Werdum, Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva and Dan Henderson before he rallied with wins over Satoshi Ishii and Jeff Monson.

Comments

  • Mikeybear

    Posted at 11:23 on June 7th 2012

    We all have it in the back of our minds, that little hope he will one day fight inside the octagon. But it's never going to happen. All the competition is in the UFC now, & if he doesn't fight there, might as well retire.

    Reply to comment

Post your comments...

Please provide all the required fields

Please provide a valid email address