Sonnen: "I either take testosterone or die"

Sonnen:
July 2nd 2012

Chael Sonnen’s use of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) has been a controversial issue ever since it first emerged after his fight with Anderson Silva at UFC 117.

Sonnen was suspended after that fight for not going through the proper declaration and disclosure process regarding his TRT regimen. After returning to action with wins over Brian Stann and Michael Bisping, Sonnen is now getting another shot at Anderson this weekend.

This time his TRT use has been properly declared and given a medical exemption by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. But it is still a controversial subject as many fans are wondering why so many professional fighters require TRT at all. Its harshest critics say it is no more than legalised cheating, steroid use by another name.

Previous steroid abuse can also be a precursor, destroying the body’s ability to produce testosterone and requiring injections to keep levels normal. In Sonnen’s case, he says hypogonadism - under-developed testicles - is the root cause. He touched on the topic with the LA Times this weekend:

You won a therapeutic use exemption from the Nevada State Athletic Commission for this fight, acknowledging you need two injections a week of testosterone for medical reasons (hypogonadism). Can you explain this?

"I don't have an option. I either take this medicine or die. I'm not asking if I can take it. It's up to them to let me take it. It's a substance that's often abused, and I deal with taking it in shame. But a blood test can clear you, and show I take the appropriate amount. I'm paying for the tests. I've taken four so far. And they'll do a day-before and morning-after test as well."

Sonnen’s TRT exemption was just one of several things that got under Anderson Silva’s skin lately, prior to the Brazilian champion exploding in anger on last week’s UFC 148 conference call. He told the listening media that Sonnen was a “cheat” and “a criminal” and that he intends to break his legs and teeth.

What did you make of Silva's comments about you — calling you a criminal and discussing his violent intentions for you in the octagon on fight night?

“If you want to make it a morality play, I'll do it. In fact, I'll speak to him about it Saturday night while running my fist up his prissy little self, for 25 minutes to see where he's at on that. I kind of expected it. You idiot, Anderson, we signed up for a fistfight. I've been looking for this fight for two years, so that kind of stuff doesn't work with me.

“Him talking like that? He's singing my song.”

The fight takes place in Las Vegas this weekend and is already in MMA history books as one of the most anticipated rematches ever. The UFC is expecting over one million pay-per-view buys and viewer numbers in Brazil are expected to be astronomical as well. And if Sonnen wins, an immediate rematch is likely to make for a compelling - and lucrative - bad-blood trilogy.

Comments

• Bruce Boyington

Posted at 14:03 on July 2nd 2012

I dont see what is wrong with people and why they call this cheating so much. Listen, if he didnt take TRT then his testosterone would be deficient leaving all other fighters to have an advantage over him so he takes TRT and restores his testosterone balance, how is that cheating? How does that give him an advantage? Excuses! Get over it and fight, quite blaming it on something its not..the man has low testosterone. Diabetics (Type I) get insulin injections dont they? WHy? Cause they need to make up for the lack of natural producing insulin in the body, same damn thing really...besides a fight is a fight...if my opponent wants to take steroids, go right the hell ahead, as long as you weigh in the same as me on weigh day!

• Roman Brochu

Posted at 17:39 on July 2nd 2012

People don't actually understand how Testosterone works in the body. The more a male works out the less testosterone he will have. This is why body builders use steroids. If testosterone did not drop in this manner than everyone would have a steroid physique and the muscles would have a harder time wearing out.

If you look at chaels problem and his work ethic that Tetosterone fact would leave him at a severe disadvantage. Because now not only does his tetosterone drop from working out, his body also has a low amount of testosterone already and thus has a harder time replemishing the testosterone lost from the work out. Therefor he would have almost no chance of getting muscle and he would be extremely tired all the time (Waking up feeling like you need 12 more hours of sleep not matter what).

But obviously he just wants to get an edge over opponents right?

• John Russo

Posted at 18:09 on July 2nd 2012

Roman, your comment is based on zero scientific evidence. Studies on weight lifting and testosterone levels universally state that weight lifting temporarily increases testosterone levels during the workout and the days following the workout (example PMID:8107546).

• Teddy Mills

Posted at 03:45 on July 4th 2012

Because he took steroids to get him where he is now. That is common knowledge. The low testosterone is caused by the damage the steroids did to him. So because he cheated in the past, he cannot compete (his words) unless he gets the TRT. In anyones books, that is a cheater.

• Joe

Posted at 22:55 on July 6th 2012

But obviously he just wants to get an edge over opponents right?

Ya you dont how test works in the body.. Natural bodybuilding stabalizes test in the body prolonging higher levels through adulthood. What sonnen did was cause his hypogonadism by steroid abuse at an early age so now he a has the test level of a 13 year old girl. Test levels do not control your energy levels by any means how this came to be known is stupid. If that were true women wouldnt be moving at all they produce 1/16 if that of a man. 260 -1080 ng normal range for man 15-70ng for women. Trt is just a mask for steroid abuse. Todd dufee is on trt that says it all.

• miller79796

Posted at 07:18 on December 10th 2012

@joe how could it be steroid "abuse" if he's taking what he should already have but doesn't? You're just another f**king idiot who is insecure because chael is more than you'll ever be.

• Deca durabolin 200 mg

Posted at 23:36 on February 18th 2013

I actually planned to discuss your blog post is incredibly realistic. I opt to hear something totally new with this on account of I really provide the identical site within my United states during this matter so this specific help??s everyone plenty. I was able to a good look about the topic plus noticed a great a number of blogs but in contrast to that. Thank you for revealing so much inside www.fightersonlymag.com

• buy sustanon

Posted at 02:07 on May 26th 2013

It's really a cool and helpful piece of information. I'm satisfied that you shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing it on www.fightersonlymag.com

• Wistrol depot 50 mg

Posted at 10:01 on June 12th 2013

i wanna ask if a fitness gym owner is allowed to sell and admister an injectable steroids.?

• Proviron 25 mg

Posted at 19:41 on July 4th 2013

How can a person lose weight by fasting? ;) ;)