It’s Olympic season, and what better way for MMA fans to celebrate than with the first-ever Fighters Only ‘Olympic Issue’? The ties between Olympic fight sports and mixed martial arts are exceptionally close, and perhaps none more so than in UFC light heavyweight number-one contender Dan Henderson.
A two-weight Pride FC champion and two-time Greco-Roman wrestling Olympian for the USA at the 1992 and 1996 Games. In addition to telling FO about his Olympic experience, and how it helped him become the fighter he is today, ‘Hendo’ reveals how the fans have been telling him to beat next opponent Jon Jones and why the UFC title is the last piece in his MMA puzzle. Only inside this month’s Fighters Only.
Plus! How double Olympian wrestler and Strikeforce tournament winner Daniel Cormier experienced his highest and lowest athletic moments at the Olympic Games. And! The Olympic rings have produced a plethora of Octagon champions, but who from this year’s Games could collect gold in MMA? FO profiles London 2012’s most likely MMA prospects to give you the insider tips.
- Bronze medal judoka Ronda Rousey reveals a Pokemon obsession, plus Cuban Olympian Hector Lombard, Beijing 2008 wrestler Ben Askren, Sydney silver medallist wrestler Matt Lindland and Bellator judo player Rick Hawn, all featured.
- Will MMA ever make it the Games? FO asks the people who could help make it happen.
- Olympic alternate and UFC hero Randy Couture guest column: “I learned to be a competitor trying to win a medal.”
- Get decathlon-level fitness: How to turn your gym into an Olympic training centre.
- Learn the secrets to applying FO’s ‘inescapable’ rear naked choke.
- Get faster and win more fights with five easy drills
Now available from Morrisons, Tesco, WH Smith, Asda and all good newsagents within the UK.