Exclusive: Michael Bisping responds to Stann, Belcher and Weidman

Exclusive: Michael Bisping responds to Stann, Belcher and Weidman
July 12th 2012

Michael Bisping is a popular person at present.

It seems like there isn’t a single middleweight in the UFC who doesn’t want to be matched with the British standout. Alan Belcher has been calling him out for a long time and has intensified that of late, while Brian Stann and now Chris Weidman also have their eye on him.

Fighters Only spoke to Bisping today as he travelled to a training session near his California home. We asked about his new found popularity…

FO: So, nice to be popular with all your colleagues? Stann, Belcher and Weidman have all called you out lately.

Yeah it seems like I am the man of the moment right now doesn’t it? That’s fine by me, I’m a professional fighter and I’ve not been busy enough lately to be honest so, I will happily fight all three of them - Stann, Weidman and Belcher can all have it. I’ve got no problem fighting and beating all three of them, either on three consecutive cards or all on one night if they want.

FO: Break it down for us - if you had a pick of one of them, who would you face and why?

“Listen, Belcher’s getting on my nerves. He keeps saying he has got the style to beat me - what style? No man with a tattoo like that can talk to anyone about style! He’s been calling me out for a while now so I’d say to him, when you beat someone other than a pure jiu jitsu guy then call me. Brian Stann I respect, fine, I think we are on collision course and we can have that fight. I’ll win.

“And now Chris Weidman is calling me out. Well, he’s on a roll but I don’t think a win over a fat Mark Munoz makes you a contender. Especially when Munoz has bounced into the Octagon like he’s at a Take That concert and with a haircut that looks like Belcher’s tattooist has switched careers. Did that distract him? It distracted me. I couldn’t take my eyes off it. What was it supposed to be, do you know?

“Everyone’s talking about Weidman today but I tell you what, we were on the same card in January and I had to switch his fight with Maia off. I was trying to warm up backstage and the fight was putting me to sleep. I wanted to get hyped up and it was like watching paint dry. He looked good last night - or did Munoz look awful?

“They all seem like nice guys, good luck to them - except Belcher, he’s been getting on my nerves so lets not include him [in the good luck wishes] - but I will happily fight them all, no problem. I want to be the champion and I think I am one more win away from a title shot. And any of these guys can be my first defences.”

FO: Speaking of titles, Anderson defended his at the weekend in the big rematch with Sonnen. What did you think of the fight?

Chael looked amazing in round one, then maybe he got overconfident. He went back to his corner they said ‘you’re amazing, its going amazing,’ then round two things deviated from the plan. Things went a bit ‘Dancing With The Stars’ when that backfist came out.

“What was all that about? I had to check what channel I was watching. Anyway, then he had a sit down and then that was it, Anderson was on him. Anderson capitalised and took him out in style, as per usual. Good finish.”

Comments

• james hayes

Posted at 23:05 on July 12th 2012

• Jke

Posted at 23:16 on July 12th 2012

Bisbing talkes alot 4 a guy who hasn't beat a top 10 guy in his entire career. Stop begging and win a fight that matters chump! l0l he just said he would love to fight anyone of those guys, what talk, fuckin alen the tatoist belcher shouldnt talk, hes overated, bisping would smash him imo.

• Mark

Posted at 23:32 on July 12th 2012

Bisbing has beaten guys in the top 10 only he gets robbed by the judges

• Sarah

Posted at 00:21 on July 13th 2012

Bisping is just agreeing to fight the fighters who are calling him out. He's a hard worker, he's an awesome representative for Britain in the UFC and he's done his time, he deserves the title shot, whether it's his next fight or whether there's one or two in between. He deserves the shot!

• johnnyo

Posted at 01:54 on July 13th 2012

Bisping has only fought top guys but has never had that break through fight. He has been up and down he really needs a convincing grind it out win to make his point. If he doesn't do that he will remain a gate keeper unless he gets a belt call because of injury

• rollawaythedew

Posted at 02:02 on July 13th 2012

Bisbing has beaten guys in the top 10 only he gets robbed by the judges

Yeah... exactly. Like the Matt Hamil fight...... wait.... What???

• K

Posted at 06:13 on July 13th 2012

"specially when Munoz has bounced into the Octagon like he’s at a Take That concert and with a haircut that looks like Belcher’s tattooist has switched careers." hehhehehe nice quip Mike but still........Anderson etas your lunch anytime ;)

• Jay

Posted at 12:37 on July 13th 2012

Lets get things right, Bisping should have been fighting Anderson for the title not Sonnen he got robbed even Sonnen himself said so. So as for him not beating anyone in the top 10 re-think that statement. No one in that middleweight divison works harder than Bisping he has outstanding cardio and a great work ethic he would steam roll Belcher, and Stann and Weidman would be good tests.

• neil carter

Posted at 15:07 on July 13th 2012

Bisping begs for no fights ever. All he ever getsis others fighters calling him out. Some people have such an irrational hatred toward him they refuse to recognise his skills.

• chilepepper99

Posted at 16:07 on July 13th 2012

Didn't Bisping lose his last fight? Bisping needs to string together a few wins against top contenders before he gets anywhere near a title shot. Whenever he does fight the top guys, he shoots off his mouth and then gets beat down hard. Silva would straight up murder him.