Vitor Belfort has publicly accepted Alan Belcher’s challenge to a fight.
Belcher, who aspires to contend for the middleweight belt in the near future, challenged Belfort earlier this week and said that the Brazilian “needs to fight me to be the best right now.”
Now Belfort has replied via his Twitter account, telling Belcher that he accepts the challenge and calling for the UFC to stage the fight in Rio.
“Belcher lets make this fight #ufcrio in Oct 13,” he wrote, with a follow-on message in Portuguese saying that the decision was ultimately up to UFC president Dana White.
Belcher is coming off a huge stoppage win over Rousimar Palhares in May. Palhares was the favorite to win with one of his trademark leglocks but Belcher matched jiu jitsu skills with him then pounded him out on the floor.
Belfort is on a two-fight win streak since his KO loss to Anderson Silva at UFC 126. He is desperately trying to get himself back into title contention and says the front-kick that Anderson stopped him with was “a lucky shot”.