Junior Dos Santos says the UFC is increasingly making fights based solely on possible pay-per-view sales rather than on the merits of the two competitors being matched.
He cites the recent example of Chael Sonnen, who had two middleweight title shots and now has a TUF coaching spot and a light-heavyweight title shot to look forward to, despite having being suspended for non-disclosure of Testosterone Replacement Therapy use.
Dos Santos also has an issue with Alistair Overeem being declared the de facto next heavyweight challenger once the Dos Santos/Cain Velasquez rematch takes place in December. Overeem is also currently serving a suspension for failing a surprise drug test administered in March. He blamed the fail on a medication he was taking.
“It's kind of out of order. Nowadays, the UFC is prioritizing those fights which will sell well. A prime example of this was Chael Sonnen, who sold his fight very well. Overeem has followed the same path,” hr told Brazilian radio station Beat 98.
“But, for me, bring it on. I do not run from any challenge, I know I can beat anyone whatsoever. Come whoever comes, I will do my best to go out with a win in the Octagon.”
Dos Santos’ next fight is at UFC 155 on December 29 and is a rematch with Cain Velasquez, the man he took the title from in just over one minute on the first UFC on FOX broadcast late last year. Velasquez bounced back with a stoppage win over Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva in possibly the bloodiest fight of 2012.
“This time, as Cain himself said he wants the fight to be longer, at least the fight will happen. He is an excellent wrestler and I believe he will want to take it to the floor. He will try to do to me what he did with Silva,” Dos Santos says.
“But I'm not afraid, I am 100% ready to defend the belt. A fight is a fight, you never know how it will be, maybe it will go faster than last time.”