Aleksander Emelianenko retires from MMA

Aleksander Emelianenko retires from MMA
December 19th 2012

Aleksander Emelianenko has announced his retirement from mixed martial arts competition.

The Russian heavyweight, younger brother of former Pride FC champion Fedor Emelianenko, made the announcement shortly after the M-1 organization revealed that it had cut him from the roster for “repeated breaches of contract”.

Aleks says, “Unfortunately, I am no longer able to perform in the ring because of health problems caused by old injuries. Of course, for an athlete like me this is hard to realize. I am grateful to the fans and friends for their support, for believing in me, I am also grateful to my ill-wishers. Your passion always made me move forward and achieve new results.”

Seemingly addressing the comments by M-1 president Vadim Finkelstein, who announced Alek’s removal from the organization’s roster yesterday, the heavyweight Pride FC veteran was more cryptic.

“I understand that I’ve been hit with a barrage of accusations and negative criticism, but that is outside my control. Unfortunately, there will always be people who when I am in a negative situation, will look to score a lot of points.

“I have no intention of commenting on anything, explaining or justifying myself. Each of us makes his own life, the bad and good. That is our essence. I'm sure like a lot of sportsmen, by my example I drew many young people in gyms. The rest of my life, God and time will judge.

“Now I want to turn my back on any publicity and to take control of my health, my family, my daughter, whom I love very much. Maybe sometime I'll meet with you again. Thank you! Be well and believe in God!”

Aleks retires with a 21-6 professional MMA record and a record that includes wins over Sergey Kharitinov and Pawel Nastula, the former Olympian. His legacy is one of untapped potential and a natural ability which far exceeded that of his more famous and more accomplished older brother.

With solid boxing ability and blistering hand speed for a heavyweight, Aleks’ entry into MMA competition was directly entering the Pride FC organization. He went 3-0, with two fights on the smaller-scale Pride Bushido shows, then fought Mirko ‘CroCop’ Filipovic in what was only his fourth-ever professional fight. CroCop’s record at the time was 11-2-2 in MMA and he had over 30 fights in the K-1 kickboxing league under his belt. He knocked Aleks out just over two minutes in.

Aleks then went on a 5-0 run before meeting Josh Barnett at Pride: Total Elimination Absolute in 2006. Again he was running into a much more experienced fighter - Barnett was a former UFC champion - but this time Aleks ran riot, battering Barnett round the ring and in the end only losing because he ran out of gas and allowed Barnett to get a takedown and submission.

In 2007 he was signed to the Affliction MMA promotion but was removed from their debut card at the last minute by the California State Athletic Commission. A spokesman for CSAC said he was “license denied” and that would henceforth apply to the entire US for perpetuity. No reason was given, because of privacy laws, but rumors emerged via scheduled opponent Paul Buentello that Aleks had been discovered to have hepatitis.

This was never confirmed but the rumor dogged him ever since. It is notable that he never fought, or attempted to fight, in the USA ever again. He also saw other bookings fall through last minute, including an appearance on a KSW show in Poland last year that again resulted in a cancellation without explanation.

The remainder of his career being confined to Russia and the surrounding states, where there are no athletic commissions, Aleks maintained a hardcore following online but was going nowhere. In November this year he saw a four-fight win streak come to an end when he fought Jeff Monson and got submitted. That looks set to be his last appearance in the ring.

Comments

• Michael

Posted at 11:58 on December 19th 2012

Pisses me off. Fuck M1-global I say. Dana has been right all the time

• Michael

Posted at 12:33 on December 19th 2012

Both Fedor and Aleks complain about injuries. What are these incurable injuries? I run a clinic. Please, come over here and all the treatments will be free.

Also another thing I don't understand is all this talk about family and children.
    Don't they have kindergartens in Russia? Schools? Are Russian women so weak that in year 2012 they need to be "taken care of".

It just makes me that so many elite fighters carrier are ruined because of these. Just wait until the money starts getting tight and the same women that wants to be "taken care of" will kick you out of the house. By then you will be an old fighter. What are you going to do then?!

If it's about pussy. Just go out and bang some bitches.

And Vadim you better were a disguise when traveling. Next time we meet you better have a damn good explanation for cutting Aleks form M1

• andrew cooper

Posted at 18:53 on December 19th 2012

aleks "injury" has been discussed and known for a long time, he has a form of Hepatitis, most believe hep b, hence why he only really fought in russia for a long time, the issues with this probs what happen now, there only so many fight people are willing to be. while of course it can never be proving there is a reason that he never tired to fight in america again after getting his license for that affircation fight cancelled, cos as we all know america has the money in mma

• ac

Posted at 22:12 on December 19th 2012

i dont wanna comment on AE,
    i just wanna say thank you Fighters Only for good reading!
    I'm so tired of primitive brief news without any overview of the subject, which looks more sms than a journalist article, its so rare today in the MMA media!
    Thank you!

• Akire

Posted at 11:55 on July 22nd 2013

first off you will never see a top boxer at his peak (if at all) get into an MMA ring. Just not worth it to them.Now to answer the hyeithptocal. If you taught a top boxer just how to guard on the ground and how to avoid most take downs then they would win. Just those simple moves to a highly skilled and trained boxer would allow him to dominate in the MMA ring.The top boxers with just footwork alone would have most MMA guys whiffing at first. Not for long but in the beginning yes. Top boxers take years to develop footwork. And when I say years I mean 10 or more. And it is that footwork that would allow most of them to land the punch that would be enough to put most MMA fighters down. Not to mention that they know how to punch better than most MMA fighters. Punching correctly also takes quite sometime to master. A boxers jab would knock out most people.The problem I see is that the boxer once having staggered the MMA fighter could not just step in and start trying to end the match like they do in boxing. Once you get close to the MMA fighter he will grab you or your legs for the take down. This is where the boxer has to be smart and stay on the outside and let the MMA guy come to him again. Or have that simple on the ground guard training to last and get back up in the middle of the ring.MMA fighters are just street tough dudes that can take most people in a fight anyway. Add some basic training and some basic skills and you got an MMA guy. This is why you see so many of them. Most MMA guys are just really really tough. Not that skilled. It is not always the best skilled person that wins but the toughest and the one with the most will in MMA.Most MMA fans will disagree with me, but hey they are fans. Most of the fans have never stepped into any ring anyway. They just want to see someone get knocked out and some blood. This also includes boxing fans as well.Let the thumbs down begin. Ha ha ha…

• Chicko

Posted at 13:22 on July 23rd 2013

Watching on the package from California was dinoppaintisg. As they returned from the first break after the first half clock expired they didn't cover the ceremony on the court at the Rock. Can you believe that they did a Georgetown retrospective? Right as the ceremony at the Rock was happening? I was ripped. Thoughts on the game:Theodore is going to be a special point guard. I noticed that BG finally gave him extended minutes at the beginning of the second half without Harvey on the floor. Dude is quick and I love that he's not afraid to take the ball to the hole amongst the trees. When I first saw this kid play I thought to myself that's a poor man's donald copeland. I'm now ready to say he's better than Cope. Once he extends the range of his jumper he will be a really nice, if undersized, PG.Mitchell went on a tear like I haven't seen yet from him, to close out the first half. That kid, when he wants to, I think can score from anywhere on the floor. It's too bad he has to play out of position, but offensively I think he's a very nice player.Garcia is a warrior. The foul that ended up getting him a T was one of the best message senders a big can send. For the first couple years of his career my biggest beef with him was that when he fouled, he didn't foul hard enough. I was taught that if you're going to foul around the basket then make sure the guy either can't get the shot off or that he definitely won't score. Garcia is finally doing that now. I love it when he puts a guy on the floor.I, too, was saying to myself during the whole course of the game: Hazell, just keep shooting. Too bad he never hit a three, but that's your guy. He has to keep shooting. And Gause, as usual, is just an animal and all over the court. He's everything you want in a leader on the basketball court. Keep it up Paul.Nice win Pirates. Now win the ones you're supposed to vs. the dregs of the league and this season won't be a total loss. With some wins we can have something to build on for next year when we get some horses.

• Sunanta

Posted at 10:20 on July 25th 2013

I have mixed feelings about MMA. I've alyaws been a fan of martial arts and even dabbled in some kickboxing in the past but MMA seems more brutal to me. Maybe it's because I haven't been exposed to it as much as say Krav Maga which my partner has been practising for years, or boxing among others.My brother started training MMA a year or so ago and when I found out he was having his first fight I was extremely worried - especially when I found out what's involved; there seems to be no rules and everyone has a mixed bag of tricks waiting to let loose.As for women MMA fighters, well, I'm not qualified to comment. I do believe that every sportsperson requires a level of respect - the demands of training require a lot of sacrifice, particularly at a professional level.