[Exclusive] Johny Hendricks planning to use 100% in next fight

[Exclusive] Johny Hendricks planning to use 100% in next fight
January 14th 2014

Johny Hendricks is considered by many MMA fans and media members to be the rightful UFC welterweight champion after giving now-former champ Georges St Pierre the toughest fight of his esteemed career and losing via controversial split decision at UFC 167.

Now, with GSP having recently vacated the title, Johny has been given a shot at redemption as he is set to face fellow top 170lb contender Robbie Lawler at UFC 171 to determine who will be crowned king of the division.

Speaking exclusively to Fighters Only, Hendricks told us he didn’t care his next fight for the title wouldn't be a rematch with St-Pierre – the only thing he’s after is the belt.

“I don’t care about Georges, I care about the belt,” he laughs. “I beat Georges. I beat him once. The world knows that so I just want that belt now. I want that 20lb of gold that says UFC welterweight champion. That’s what I want. And that’s been my goal the whole time, is I don’t care who it is, or when it is, I just want to bring that home.” Lucky for him, he won’t have to haul the title far to get it back to the Hendricks homestead, should he be the victor. The five-rounder will be going down in Dallas, Texas, the city in which he and his family, a wife and three daughters, reside.

When we asked how he believed a rematch with GSP would go, the wrestler told us he would try to finish it, and in the midst of his fighting talk dropped a line that’s equally as pertinent for his future foe. “I’m always going to try to finish every fight that I can,” he told us, “and that’s all I’m looking for.”

Several times in conversation with FO, Bigg Rigg has declared he won’t lose out on becoming the UFC welterweight champion a second time. And each proclamation sounds more as though Hendricks feels he’s prophesising, and not just speculating. He is convinced. What tells him, guarantees to him, that a second chance will not slip through his fingers as well?

“The way I’m going to train,” Hendricks states flatly. “My whole attitude. Everything that I can control, I’ll do differently. Meaning that I’m going to wrap my hands where I’ll have the pad where I can throw as hard as I want.

“And I’m going to correct those things, so whenever I do hit, with full power, it’s not going to be something that,” Hendricks pauses as he collects his thoughts. “Georges St Pierre forgot on 70% power. Wait until I punch at 100%.”

For the full exclusive interview, get the latest issue of Fighters Only magazine – on sale now across the UK, US, Canada & Europe.

Comments

• Michelle D. Jackson

Posted at 17:51 on January 14th 2014

Johnny Hendricks can think he won the title when he fought GSP but the judges disagreed and guess what, that is what mattered. Had he taken his title bout more seriously and fought at his full potential perhaps he would have won the title. Hendricks found out what Anderson Silva found out, when you go in there expecting to walk through your opponent and fail to respect them, you walk out a loser.

• Tang

Posted at 21:11 on January 14th 2014

70% power, that's funny shit. Biggest fight of his life and he goes 70%. Lawler's putting him to sleep.

• Whitey Nation

Posted at 04:47 on January 15th 2014

the thing about fighting the champ is if u dont finish and leave it in the hands of the judges then 90% of the time ur not gonna win..just like the john jones and agustofson fight..jonh jones got lumped up but wasnt finished and walked away the winner...george got rocked several times but never went down...he faught a great fight against his hardest opponent yet and won..my hats off the GSP...

• DaFudge

Posted at 07:31 on January 15th 2014

I agree that the GSP and Hendricks fight was a close call but Jon Jones clearly won the fight. Yes, Gustafsson gave Jones a good fight but Jones clearly won the last two rounds, by a big margin. And Hendricks took steroid. That's why he refused to go through with the drug test. GSP, come back and shut this guy up.

• Mike

Posted at 08:50 on January 15th 2014

Why, in the most important fight of your life would you throw punches at 70% full power? You wouldn't and he didn't. He hit as hard as he could and although it screwed GSP up, he took each and every one of them. Hendricks, I understand you feel like you were screwed out of a lot of money, but get real. Nobody believes you went into that at 70%, NOBODY.
    And for the record, Lawler has the tools to take this chump out.

• Wylie

Posted at 11:22 on January 15th 2014

Johny's going to be sorely disappointed when he discovers that the belt isn't actually made of 20 pounds of gold.

• nick

Posted at 18:21 on January 15th 2014

In my opinion hendricks should have the belt but I agree he should have kept the fight out of the judges hands I believe he came in the fight at 70% and was too cocky but he for sure could have finished gsp had he tried his hardest. I think that once he saw that gsp was gonna do little to no damage to him he got to comfortable and thought he had the fight won before it was over but he made a statement by sending gsp running back to montreal to hide from a rematch and to heal what hendricks left of his face. And as for lawler he stands no chance against the rightfull champion I mean sure he has knock out power but hendricks has all the tools to end this fight in many ways all of which will be with the belt around his waste and his hand in the air...my prediction hendricks def. Lawler via first round ko.

• Patrick

Posted at 00:40 on January 16th 2014

Want to know how J hendricks is not a legitimate athlete? He bloats to 215-230LBS offseason. Then within one week of training and you view his twitter his bicep is vascular as could be... While bloated..

I've done plenty cycles and I am on WU rugby team. No one can fool me, this man is on juice and that is all there is to it. Anyone says otherwise they're a fucking fool.

Not that I care though I love Hendricks and I don't see anything wrong with some extra enhancement to make the big bucks. This is my dream too. I'm just sick of idiot people who actually think Hendricks doesn't take anything.