The final of the Bellator light heavyweight grand prix has been set, with 205-pound champion Vadim Nemkov set to face Corey Anderson in the tournament finale.
Nemkov, who entered the tournament as the reigning champion, has worked his way through the brackets, defending his title at each stage to book his place in the final.
He defeated former champion Phil Davis in the quarter-finals, then followed up that victory with a fourth-round submission finish of tournament alternate Julius Anglickas at Bellator 268 on Saturday night.
The Russian world champion will face former UFC contender Corey “Overtime” Anderson, who has made an instant impact on his arrival as a Bellator fighter.
Anderson defeated Dovletdzhan Yagshimuradov in the quarter-finals, then earned his spot in the final with a stunning 51-second TKO finish of former 205-pound champion – and current Bellator heavyweight champ – Ryan Bader on Saturday night.
After their wins in Phoenix, Arizona, Nemkov and Anderson faced off inside the Bellator cage for the first time, with the two locking eyes ahead of their $1 million final later this year.
It was also a big night for former Bellator lightweight champion Brent Primus, who defeated former UFC champ Benson Henderson by unanimous decision to put himself at the front of the queue to challenge the winner up for the upcoming lightweight title bout between Ireland’s Peter Queally and Brazil’s Patricky Pitbull.
The pair will face off for the newly-vacated title at Bellator 270 on Dublin on November 5, with Primus waiting in the wings, ready to face the winner early in 2022.
Bellator 268: Results
- Vadim Nemkov def. Julius Anglickas via submission (Kimura) Round 4, 4:24 – light heavyweight grand prix semi-final
- Corey Anderson def. Ryan Bader via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:51 – light heavyweight grand prix semi-final
- Brent Primus def. Benson Henderson via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Henry Corrales def. Vladyslav Parubchenko via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Karl Albrektsson def. Dovletzhan Yagshimuradov via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Mukhamed Berkhamov def. Jaleel Willis via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 4:05
- Nick Browne def. Bobby Lee via submission (heel hook) – Round 1, 1:30
- Javier Torres def. Gregory Milliard via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Sumiko Inaba def. Randi Field via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 2, 2:02
- Lance Gibson Jr. def. Raymond Pina via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 1:44
- Jaylon Bates def. Raphael Montini de Lima via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 3:49
- Sullivan Cauley def. Deon Clash via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 4:59
- Maria Henderson def. Collette Santiago via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 0:40 – amateur bout