One of MMA’s all-time greats returned to home soil in emphatic fashion as the Bellator cage landed in Moscow, Russia for Bellator 269.
“The Last Emperor” needed just 100 seconds to show the world that, despite his 45 years, he’s still more than capable of finishing the best Bellator has to offer in their heavyweight division.
The finish came via a lightning quick three-punch combination, with each strike finding their mark with power and accuracy. The last of the three shots proved decisive as Johnson was dispatched, unconscious, to the canvas and the fight was waved off.
Fedor Emelianenko delivers a stunning three-punch combination to knock out Tim Johnson at #Bellator269 in Moscow. A huge feelgood moment for one of the sport's greatest legends. pic.twitter.com/JWjFpdSPUm
— Simon Head (@simonhead) October 23, 2021
Emelianenko’s stunning knockout win capped off a night designed to showcase the best Russian talent on the Bellator roster. But that showcase produced mixed results.
Middleweight contender Anatoly Tokov got an important win to extend his winning streak, but it was far from straightforward as he was made to battle hard to earn a split-decision by former training partner Sharaf Davlatmurodov.
Former heavyweight champion Vitaly Minakov was expected to dispense with American Said Sowma in the co-main event, but some smart second-round tactics from Sowma, followed by an unfortunate dislocated finger in the third, meant the Russian was handed an L on his return to the Bellator cage.
And Usman Nurmagomedov called for a shot at top 10 opposition after submitting Finnish lightweight Patrik Pietila in the first round.
But, ultimately, the night was all about the legendary Fedor, whose 40th career win came in stunning fashion and might just catapult him toward an unlikely title shot, and the chance to claim a fairytale ending to his stellar career.
Bellator 269 results
- Fedor Emelianenko def. Tim Johnson via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 1:46
- Said Sowma def. Vitaly Minakov via TKO (dislocated finger injury) – Round 3, 3:08
- Usman Nurmagomedov def. Patrik Pietila via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 4:06
- Anatoly Tokov def. Sharaf Davlatmurodov via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Kirill Sidelnikov def. Rab Truesdale via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:01
- Katarzyna Sadura def. Darina Mazdyuk via TKO (ground strikes) – Round 2, 3:17
- Irina Alekseeva def. Stephanie Page via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Nikita Mikhailov def. Brian Moore via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Alexey Shurkevich def. Grachik Bozinyan via knockout (ground strikes) – Round 1, 2:25
- Aiden Lee def. Alexander Osetrov via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 3:41