The PFL heavyweight season blew wide open with the news that defending 2021 champion Bruno Cappelozza has been forced out of the upcoming PFL Playoffs event in Cardiff.
The Brazilian who claimed the $1 million heavyweight championship last year, was all set to face Denis Goltzov in the semi-finals of this year’s season, but was forced out of the bout due to injury.
It means that fellow Brazilian Matheus Scheffel, who shocked Cappelozza with a unanimous decision victory over the 2021 champion in the regular season, has been drafted in to replace the Brazilian, and will now face Goltsov in the semis in Wales.
The event in Cardiff also features three more semi-final bouts. The second heavyweight semi between Ante Delija and Renan Ferreira forms the co-main event of the card at the Motorpoint Arena, while the welterweight semi-final clash between former Bellator champion and UFC title challenger Rory MacDonald and Magomed Umalatov set to headline the event.
Elsewhere, Carlos Leal will attempt to become the first fighter to graduate from the PFL Challenger Series to reach the $1 million series finale when he takes on Sadibou Sy in the other welterweight semi-final.
PFL Playoffs: Cardiff – Confirmed Fight Card
- Rory MacDonald vs. Magomed Umalatov – welterweight semi-final
- Ante Delija vs. Renan Ferreira – heavyweight semi-final
- Denis Goltsov vs. Matheus Scheffel – heavyweight semi-final
- Sadibou Sy vs. Carlos Leal – welterweight semi-final
- Josh O’Connor vs. Emran Sakhizaada
- Mohammad Fakhreddine vs. Marcin Wojcik
- Chris Mixan vs. Christian Stigenberg
- Hatef Moeil vs. Szymon Bajor
- Will Fleury vs. Anthony Salamone
- Nate Kelly vs. Ben Ellis
- Vojto Barborik vs. Maxim Radu
- Moktar Benkaci vs. Francesco Nuzzi