England’s George Hardwick produced a fourth-round finish to stop Kyle Driscoll and capture the Cage Warriors lightweight title at Cage Warriors 141 in London.
With the promotion celebrating its 20th anniversary, Hardwick and Driscoll faced off for the vacant lightweight title in the main event at the Indigo at the O2, with Hardwick making the breakthrough in the championship rounds.
After stuffing a takedown attempt, Hardwick looked to punish Driscoll on the feet, and a crushing left to the body folded up the American, who dropped to one knee.
Hardwick then followed up with ground strikes to force the finish and claim the title as a packed crowd in London roared its approval.
🏆 George Hardwick has done it, he becomes the Lightweight Champion of Cage Warriors!!!
— Cage Warriors (@CageWarriors) July 22, 2022
Hardwick’s victory rounded off a packed night of fights on UFC Fight Pass that also saw a notable return for UK MMA legend Jimmy Wallhead, who claimed a first-round TKO finish of Poland’s Daniel Skibinski.
Undefeated lightweight contender Mike Figlak also continued his impressive form with a unanimous decision victory over former lightweight champion Agy Sardari.
Cage Warriors 141: Official Results
- George Hardwick def. Kyle Driscoll via TKO (body shot and ground strikes) – Round 4, 1:25
- Jimmy Wallhead def. Daniel Skibinski via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 1:15
- Mike Figlak def. Agy Sardari via unanimous decision
- Mick Stanton def. Darren Stewart via unanimous decision
- Samuel Bark def. Tobias Harila via knockout (knee) – Round 2, 2:30
- Steve Aimable def. Jeremy Petley via unanimous decision
- Reece McEwan def. Kingsley Crawford via unanimous decision
- Will Currie def. Naglis Kanisauskas via unanimous decision
- Adam Amarasinghe def. Sam Spencer via unanimous decision
- Madars Fleminas def. Jesse Urholin via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 2:10
- Lone’er Kavanagh def. Ander Sanchez via unanimous decision
- Omiel Brown def. Alexander Lindgren via TKO (punch and ground strikes) – Round 1, 1:52
Photo credit: Dolly Clew/Cage Warriors (via Twitter)