Roybert Echeverria wants a second crack at a UFC contract, and he made the perfect statement to push his case at CFFC 125.
Flyweight prospect Echeverria lost out to Jafel Filho last September on Dana White’s Contender Series as Filho earned himself a UFC contract at the expense of the Venezuelan.
But, after a year away, Echeverria returned to the cage Friday night at CFFC 125 in South Dakota and bounced back into the win column with style points as he finished Pololu Nakanelua via second-round anaconda choke to improve his record to 8-1 and add a sixth finish to his resume.
“It’s been almost a year since my last fight,” Echeverria said after his victory.
“It was a tough one, but I feel like God has a purpose, and this is what I came through. I did what I was supposed to do. And, if Mick Maynard and Sean Shelby are ready to let me flip upside down the 125 (pound) division, just make the move!”
In the co-main event, JP Saint-Louis handed Nick Meck the first defeat of his professional career with a hard-earned majority decision victory after a back-and-forth 175-pound catchweight battle, while Elizabeth Schroder picked up a unanimous decision win over Alexa Conners in a closely-contested bantamweight bout.
Elsewhere on the main card, undefeated prospect Kevin Pease finished Caleb Johnson with a second-round arm-triangle choke, while in the opening main card matchup, BJJ world champion Emily Martins picked up a win on her professional MMA debut, thanks to a first-round rear-naked choke of Micaela Rampage.
CFFC 125: Official results
- Roybert Echeverria def. Pololu Nakanelua via submission (anaconda choke) – Round 2, 2:56
- JP Saint-Louis def. Nick Meck via majority decision (28-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Elizabeth Schroder def. Alexa Conners via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Kevin Pease def. Caleb Jensen via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 2, 0:53
- Trent Miller def. Chato Wiest via knockout (head kick) – Round 1, 0:40
- Emily Martins def. Micaela Rampage via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 1:54
- Frank Rayford def. David Johannes via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 3:30
- Jack Carpenter def. Isaiah Spitzer via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 3, 1:14
- Taylor Michels def. Jordan Mosley via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 0:54