Jose Perez retained the CFFC featherweight title with victory over Chris Vasil in the main event of CFFC 123 in Bensalem, Pennsylvania, but it didn’t come without a little drama at the end.
Perez extended his win streak to four with a unanimous decision victory over Vasil, who was making his first tilt at CFFC championship gold as the bout went the full four-round CFFC championship distance at the Parx Casino.
Perez was one step ahead through much of the four-round matchup, but there was a moment of concern in the closing moments of the final round, as two of his fingers popped out of his glove. Perez tried to get the glove back on correctly as the action continued, and the bout went the distance, with Perez earning scores of 39-37 on all three scorecards to retain his title.
After his victory, he paid tribute to his opponent, then called on the UFC’s matchmakers to “do your f*****g job” and give him a shot in the UFC. He also explained what happened to his glove in that last round.
“Two of my fingers came out of my glove in the middle. I thought everybody was aware, but apparently they weren’t, and I got punched in the face for it!”
In the co-main event, Israel Galvan overcame height and reach discrepancies to hand prospect Max Quinones his first pro defeat with a shutout unanimous decision victory.
In a bout that saw blood spilled and elbows fly, Galvan’s close-quarters offense, especially on the mat, proved crucial as he claimed scores of 30-27 on all
The main card also saw impressive first-round stoppages for undefeated prospects Robert Varricchio and Bilal Hasan. Varricchio dropped Brandon Evans hard in the final minute of the opening round to take his record to 4-0, with all four wins coming by knockout.
Hasan had the crowd on his side from the moment he emerged onto the arena floor, dancing to Michael Jackson’s “Billy Jean,” before stopping Orlando Ortega with knees and punches to claim an impressive stoppage win in only his second professional bout.
CFFC 123: Official results
- Jose Perez def. Chris Vasil via unanimous decision (39-37, 39-37, 39-37) – for featherweight title
- Israel Galvan def. Max Quinones via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Robert Varricchio def. Brandon Evans via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:22
- Bilal Hasan def. Orlando Ortega via knockout (knees and punches) – Round 1, 4:15
- Taylor Samarco def. Faith Nichols via unanimous decision
- Nick Gebhard def. Tony Lichtenberger via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:49
- Cameron Scalio def. Sean Murphy via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 1:24