The Netto Arena in Szczecin, Poland plays host to a rematch of one of the bloodiest battles in KSW history as Michal Materla and Kendall Grove reunite in the main event of KSW 78.
The pair faced off back at KSW 23 in a middleweight title bout that has gone down as one of the most memorable in the history of the Polish promotion.
Now, almost a decade on from that first meeting, Materla and Grove will face off again in a 195-pound catchweight bout. There’s no title on the line this time, but victory for either man could push them toward a shot at either the middleweight or light heavyweight title later this year.
For Materla, the bout offers the chance to fight closer to his natural weight, after a move up to heavyweight to face fellow KSW icon Mariusz Pudzianowski resulted in a crushing knockout defeat.
But Materla, long considered as one of KSW’s most beloved fighters, will be confident of victory over former The Ultimate Fighter graduate Grove, who hasn’t competed in a professional MMA bout since August 2019 – a bout he won by first-round submission. Prior to that fight, Grove had a 4-5 run with Bellator, with his last three fights for the promotion ending in defeat.
The pair, along with the rest of the fight card, took to the scale at the official weigh-ins and successfully made their contracted weight for the matchup, which takes place Saturday night, live on Viaplay across Europe.
KSW 78: Official weigh-in results
- Michal Materla (195) vs. Kendall Grove (194)
- Tomasz Romanowski (185) vs. Radoslaw Paczuski (186)
- Roman Szymanski (156) vs. Raul Tutarauli (156)
- Borys Mankowski (156) vs. Valeriu Mircea (156)
- Lukasz Sudolski (205) vs. Kleber Raimundo Silva (205)
- Rafal Kijanczuk (206) vs. Marc Doussis (205)
- Lukasz Rajewski (156) vs. Sahil Siraj (155)
- Oskar Szczepaniak (156) vs. Raimondas Krilavicius (156)
- Borys Dzikowski (186) vs. Andre Langen (186)