PFL 5 served up a night of surprises and twists as the promotion’s featherweight, heavyweight and lightweight lineups were confirmed for the 2022 playoffs.
In the night’s main event, reigning heavyweight champion Bruno Cappelozza was defeated on the scorecards by fellow countryman Matheus Scheffel. But, despite that defeat, Cappelozza still scraped through to the final four of the heavyweight season.
He’ll be joined by another Brazilian contender who lost out at PFL 5. Renan Ferreira was heavily fancied to defeat Klidson Abreu, but despite a colossal height advantage over his compatriot, lost a unanimous decision to the UFC veteran.
Sandwiched between the two heavyweight shocks was another surprise result in the lone lightweight bout of the evening.
Anthony “Showtime” Pettis was already assured of a spot in the lightweight playoffs, but few predicted that he would suffer a second-round submission loss to Scotland’s Stevie Ray, who needed a finish to earn a place inside 12 minutes to book his place in the final four.
“Braveheart” chased the finish he needed, and got it with a unique-looking submission that was announced as a modified body lock. It was similar to the twister submissions we’ve seen from Chan Sung Jung and Angela Lee in the past, and earned Ray a spot in the playoffs, where he’s set to face Pettis again in a rematch for a place in the lightweight final.
Elsewhere on the card, 2022 featherweight finalist Chris Wade continued his strong form by cementing himself as the number-one seed in the 145-pound playoffs with a first-round TKO of Kyle Bochniak, while Bubba Jenkins and Brendan Loughnane earned decision wins that secured their progress to the playoffs.
There was also a stunning knockout from Japan’s Kyoji Kudo, who starched Mexico’s Alejandro Martinez to surge into the featherweight playoffs in spectacular fashion.
PFL 5: Official Results
- Matheus Scheffel def. Bruno Cappelozza via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Stevie Ray def. Anthony Pettis via submission (modified body lock) – Round 2, 3:57
- Klidson Abreu def. Renan Ferreira via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Chris Wade def. Kyle Bochniak via TKO (head kick and punches) – Round 1, 1:10
- Ante Delija def. Shelton Graves via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-27)
- Bubba Jenkins def. Reinaldo Ekson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Denis Goltsov def. Maurice Greene via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Lance Palmer def. Sheymon Moraes via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Juan Adams def. Sam Kei via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 2:30
- Ryoji Kudo def. Alejandro Flores via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 2:52
- Brendan Loughnane def. Ago Huskic via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
PFL 2022: Confirmed Playoff Lineups
- Chris Wade
- Ryoji Kudo
- Bubba Jenkins
- Brendan Loughnane
- Anthony Pettis
- Olivier Aubin-Mercier
- Alexander Martinez
- Stevie Ray
- Denis Goltsov
- Ante Delija
- Denan Ferreira
- Bruno Cappelozza