The T-Mobile Arena witnessed one of the biggest title fight shocks in UFC history as Julianna Pena submitted two-division champion Amanda Nunes in the co-main event of UFC 269.
Despite coming off second best in Round 1, Pena took the fight to Nunes in Round 2 and, to the collective shock of the fans in the stands, the challenger broke down the champion with her relentless approach and a ramrod left jab.
Then, with Nunes looking exhausted, “The Venezuelan Vixen” took the champion to the mat and submitted her with a rear-naked choke to cap off a victory that will live long in the memory.
It was a memorable night, too, for lightweight champion Charles Oliveira, who made a mockery of his underdog status heading into his fight with Dustin Poirier by submitting the former interim champ at the start of the third round.
Oliveira went toe-to-toe with Poirier in a wild opening stanza, then dominated the challenger on the mat for the entirety of Round 2.
Then, at the start of Round 3, the Brazilian took Poirier’s back and locked up a standing rear-naked choke to claim his 20th win in the UFC and retain his lightweight title in the process.
UFC 269: Official Results
- Charles Oliveira (c) def. Dustin Poirier via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 3, 1:02 – for lightweight title
- Julianna Pena def. Amanda Nunes (c) via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 3:26 – for women’s bantamweight title
- Geoff Neal def. Santiago Ponzinibbio via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 29-28)
- Kai Kara-France def. Cody Garbrandt via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 3:21
- Sean O’Malley def. Raulian Paiva via TKO (Punches) – Round 1, 4:42
- Josh Emmett def. Dan Ige via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Dominick Cruz def. Pedro Munhoz via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Tai Tuivasa def. Augusto Sakai via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 0:26
- Bruno Silva def. Jordan Wright via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:28
- Andre Muniz def. Eryk Anders via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 3:13
- Erin Blanchfield def. Miranda Maverick via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Ryan Hall def. Darrick Minner via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-27)
- Tony Kelley def. Randy Costa via TKO (elbows) – Round 2, 4:15
- Gillian Robertson def. Priscila Cachoeira via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 4:59