There were no disqualifications in the bantamweight title rematch between Aljamain Sterling and Petr Yan at UFC 273, but it seems the argument between the pair may still rage on.
Reigning champion Sterling retained his title and unified the belts with a split decision win over interim champ Yan in the co-main event in Jacksonville, Florida, but the bout ended with the two parties holding very different views over how the bout should have been scored.
Sterling dominated Rounds 2 and 3 with his grappling, while Yan came storming back in Rounds 4 and 5, with each of the rounds seemingly pretty straightforward to score.
The round that split the judges, and effectively decided the fight, was the first, with two judges, Sal D’Amato and Eliseo Rodriguez, scoring it for Sterling, while the third judge, Chris Lee, scoring it for Yan.
It meant that Sterling earned the win via split decision to continue his winning streak and fully establish himself as the champion after he initially won the title via disqualification due to an illegal Yan knee in their first meeting.
After the fight, Sterling said he “outpointed” Yan in the first round, but Yan had a different view, and demanded a second rematch with the American.
But, with Sterling and TJ Dillashaw exchanging not-so-pleasant pleasantries after the fight, the Russian may have to wait for his next shot at the title.
UFC 273: Official Results
- Alexander Volkanovski vs. Chan Sung Jung via TKO (punches) – Round 4, 0:45
- Aljamain Sterling def. Petr Yan via split decision (48-47, 47-48, 48-47)
- Khamzat Chimaev def. Gilbert Burns via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Mackenzie Dern def. Tecia Torres via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Mark Madsen def. Vinc Pichel via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Ian Garry def. Darian Weeks via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Anthony Hernandez def. Josh Fremd via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Raquel Pennington def. Aspen Ladd via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Mike Malott def. Mickey Gall via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 3:41
- Alexey Oleynik def. Jared Vanderaa via submission (scarf hold) – Round 1, 3:39
- Piera Rodriguez def. Kay Hansen via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Julio Arce def. Daniel Santos via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)