The stars of UFC 278 took to the scale at Friday’s official weigh-in session ahead of fight night in Salt Lake City, with the night’s key protagonists successfully hitting their mark to make their respective bouts official.
The headline bout sees a battle for the undisputed UFC welterweight title, as champion Kamaru Usman faces off against England’s Leon Edwards, and both men were on point and ready as they tipped the scale bang on championship weight, at 170 pounds.
The co-main event also saw the two fighters involved weigh in at identical weights, with Luke Rockhold and Paulo Costa both hitting 185.5 pounds for their middleweight bout. Costa had some pointed words to say while weighing in, as he criticised USADA for sending officials to his room to test him early on the morning of the weigh-ins as he completed his weight cut.
Bantamweight contenders Jose Aldo and Merab Dvalishvili also made weight at 136 pounds, though Aldo needed to disrobe and make a second attempt to hit his mark after initially coming in a tad over.
One bout was unfortunately scratched from the fight card after it was revealed that Shanna Young was taken ill and unable to weigh-in, meaning her bout with Miranda Maverick was removed from the bout list for Saturday night.
UFC 278: Official Weigh-In Results
- Kamaru Usman (170) vs. Leon Edwards (170) – for welterweight title
- Paulo Costa (185.5) vs. Luke Rockhold (185.5)
- Jose Aldo (136) vs. Merab Dvalishvili (136)
- Lucie Pudilova (135.5) vs. Wu Yanan (136)
- Harry Hunsucker (204.5) vs. Tyson Pedro (205.5)
- Alexander Romanov (239.5) vs. Marcin Tybura (252.5)
- Jared Gordon (155.5) vs. Leonardo Santos (156)
- Luis Saldana (145.5) vs. Sean Woodson (146)
- A.J. Fletcher (170.5) vs. Ange Loosa (170.5)
- Amir Albazi (126) vs. Francisco Figueiredo (125.5)
- Aoriqileng (136) vs. Jay Perrin (136)
- Victor Altamirano (125) vs. Daniel Da Silva (126)