Former UFC strawweight champion Jessica Andrade returned to the 115 pound division for the first time in nearly three years and immediately announced herself as a contender with an eye-catching submission victory at UFC Fight Night 205.
Andrade finished strawweight contender Amanda Lemos with a standing arm-triangle choke – the first such submission finish in UFC history – three minutes and 13 seconds into the opening round of their five-round main event bout at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas.
Andrade’s finish not only re-established her as a contender for the title she held back in 2019, it also saw her bank a $50,000 Performance of the Night bonus.
In the co-main event, Peru’s Claudio Puelles continued his unbeaten form under the UFC banner with a first-round kneebar finish of octagon veteran Clay Guida, while women’s flyweight prospect Maycee Barber continued her resurgence with a unanimous decision victory over Montana De La Rosa.
On a night packed with submission finishes, there were also first-round guillotine choke wins for Canadian duo Charles Jourdain and Marc-Andre Barriault, who defeated Lando Vannata and Jordan Wright respectively in almost identical times.
The preliminary card saw the victorious return to action of Australian light heavyweight Tyson Pedro, who claimed a first-round knockout of Ike Villanueva, while Brazil’s former PFL heavyweight champion Philipe Lins returned to light heavyweight and claimed a unanimous decision victory over Poland’s Marcin Prachnio.
The opening bout of the night saw a messy finish as Irish debutant Dean Barry was disqualified for a deliberate eye gouge on Mike Jackson. Barry was dominating the action, but a spinning back-kick to Jackson’s groin forced a pause in the action and drew a warning from referee Chris Tognoni.
When the action resumed and the pair locked up against the fence, Barry’s hand went to Jackson’s face, with replays showing a clear eye gouge. With Jackson unable to continue, ref Tognoni disqualified Barry, handing Jackson an unlikely victory – he was a +700 underdog heading into the fight.
UFC Fight Night 205: Official Results
- Jessica Andrade def. Amanda Lemos via submission (standing arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 3:13
- Claudio Puelles def. Clay Guida via submission (kneebar) – Round 1, 3:01
- Maycee Barber def. Montana De La Rosa via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Charles Jourdain def. Lando Vannata via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 2:32
- Marc-Andre Barriault def. Jordan Wright via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 2:36
- Sergey Khandozhko def. Dwight Grant via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:15
- Tyson Pedro def. Ike Villanueva via knockout (leg kick and punches) – Round 1, 4:55
- Qileng Aori def. Cameron Else via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:48
- Preston Parsons def. Evan Elder via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Philipe Lins def. Marcin Prachnio via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Mike Jackson def. Dean Barry via disqualification (eye gouge) – Round 1, 3:52