Chinese bantamweight contender Song Yadong edged closer to the division’s big guns with a fifth-round TKO of Ricky Simon at UFC Vegas 72.
Song and Simon faced off in the main event at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas, and it was Song’s striking that prevailed over Simon’s wrestling as the 25-year-old outstruck his American opponent before eventually droppping him with a body shot and finishing him with ground strikes in the final round to claim the 20th win of his professional career.
Song’s TKO victory was his ninth career finish due to strikes, and after defending his No. 8 spot from 10th-ranked Simon, he’ll likely be booked to face someone ranked ahead of him for his next assignment.
Brazilian middleweight Caio Borralho picked up an impressive second-round submission over Polish body-shot artist Michal Oleksiejczuk in the co-main event, while BJJ ace Rodolfo Vieira added another submission to his MMA record with a second-round arm-triangle choke finish of Cody Brundage.
There was also a big win for debutant Fernando Padilla, who stopped Octagon veteran Julian Erosa with strikes after just 101 seconds to pick up a dream win on his first UFC appearance.
UFC Vegas 72: Official results
- Song Yadong def. Ricky Simon via TKO (punches) – Round 5, 1:10
- Caio Borralho def. Michal Oleksiejczuk via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:49
- Rodolfo Vieira def. Cody Brundage via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 2, 1:28
- Fernando Padilla def. Julian Erosa via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:41
- Marcos Rogerio de Lima def. Waldo Cortes-Acosta via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Trey Waters def. Joshua Quinlan via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Martin Buday def. Jake Collier via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Cody Durden def. Charles Johnson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Irina Alekseeva def. Stephanie Egger via submission (kneebar) – Round 1, 2:11
- Marcus McGhee def. Journey Newson via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:03
- Jamey-Lyn Horth def. Hailey Cowan via unanimous decision (20-28, 29-28, 29-28)