Conor McGregor and Frankie Edgar have both made their desires to fight each other very clear.
However, UFC President Dana White has poured cold water on the idea.
There you go White, make the bout. Give my purse to charity.
One for All! @ProperWhiskey
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) October 16, 2019
In addition to a string of suggestions the two were going to fight in December, McGregor set social media ablaze in the week when he called on White to formalise proceedings and “make the bout.”
However, in the lead up to UFC Boston, White made it clear to the Boston Herald that he had no intentions of ever making that fight due to the size disparity between the two.
“I said it leading into the Mayweather fight: ‘He may never fight again after this fight when you make this kind of money,” White told the Boston Herald [H/T MMAjunkie]. “He’s fought once since then.
“Conor loves to fight and wants to fight again, but the Frankie Edgar fight isn’t going to happen.
“Edgar is two weight classes below him,” White added. “(Edgar) was supposed to fight Aljamain Sterling. Aljamain fell out and got hurt.
“Frankie is coming to the end of his career, and he could end up getting himself into a title position again. To take the Conor fight makes no sense.”