Perfecting the double-leg takedown is essential for fighting inside the cage.
1. Kenny ducks under Pedro’s jab and steps forward with his right leg ready to shoot in for the double-leg takedown.
2. By penetrating Pedro’s stance with his lead leg, Kenny is able to grab the back of Pedro’s knees.
3. Kenny steps forward with his back foot and raises his hips to lift Pedro.
4. To make sure he doesn’t land in guard, Kenny swings Pedro’s legs to the side.
5. Kenny lowers his weight and lands in side control.
High School: Make sure you’re in touching distance of your opponent before shooting for their legs.
College: Keep your back straight when lifting your opponent.
Olympian: When in side control, drive your shoulder into your opponent’s face to help pin them to the mat.