Countering the high kick with first a parry and a high kick in return.
1. Rafael pivots on his left foot and throws a right low kick.
2. Fernando keeps his guard high and checks the kick with his left shin.
3. When Rafael’s low kick is blocked he returns to his stance as Fernando switches his stance to counter.
4. Fernando answers with a left high kick, which Rafael blocks with his right arm and catches with his left.
5. Rafael sweeps Fernando’s leg, turning his body clockwise.
6. Rafael immediately follows up with a right high kick.
Student: Aim to check kicks with the middle of your shin.
Kru: It’s good practice to counter on the same side as any kick you check.
Master: You could also try sweeping your opponent’s standing leg after catching the high kick.