The UFC have announced Swedish star Alexander Gustafsson will make his long-awaited return to the Octagon at UFC Fight Night 93 in Hamburg, Germany against Poland’s Jan Blachowicz. Also announced is the addition of England’s Brad Pickett who will face Enrique ‘Henry Bure’ Briones.
The event will take place September 3rd and will be headlined by a heavyweight bout between Josh Barnett and Andrei Arlovski. It will be the UFC’s first visit to Hamburg.
Two-time light heavyweight title contender Gustafsson will step back into the Octagon after an absence of 11 months. He last challenged 205lb champ Daniel Cormier for the title at UFC 192 but lost via split decision. Blachowicz won his last fight, against Igor Pokrajac in Pokrajac’s hometown of Zagreb, Croatia, on April 10th via unanimous decision.
British veteran Pickett last fought against Francisco Rivera, winning via split decision on home turf in London. Pickett, who admitted he was contemplating retirement had he lost that fight in London, will look to continue his success when he faces Briones, who is coming off a decision loss to Cody Garbrandt last July.
Announced bouts (order not confirmed):
- Josh Barnett vs. Andrei Arlovski
- Jan Blachowicz vs. Alexander Gustafsson
- Henry Briones vs. Brad Pickett
- Ilir Latifi vs. Ryan Bader
- Reza Madadi vs. Rustam Khabilov
- Jack Hermansson vs. Scott Askham
- Christian Colombo vs. Jarjis Danho
- Nicolas Dalby vs. Peter Sobotta
- Emil Weber Meek vs. Jessin Ayari
- Tae Hyun Bang vs. Nick Hein
Tickets for the event are available now at Eventim.de.